A&S Student First Undergraduate
Excellence Opportunity (SFUEO)
Purpose: To support undergraduate students pursuing value-added, experiential opportunities such as internships, co-ops, field work, external research projects or study abroad that will advance their education and career, as well
as the reputation of Mississippi State University. The intent of this funding is to help offset expenses that present significant barriers for many students with financial need and who would otherwise not gain such experiences. These awards are made
possible through the generosity of College of Arts & Sciences (A&S) donors and the Dean’s Office.
Deadlines and Timeframe for Travel / Experience:
||Timeframe (Dates of Travel / Experience)
|March 15||May 15 – December 31
|Nov 8||January 1 – May 15
- Students must complete the required application via the online submission portal (TBA).
- Students can request $500 to $2500.
- Students can receive only one award per year.
- Students application must be supported by a faculty advisor/mentor. The faculty member must include a brief nomination statement in the approval section of the application.
- Students must include a permanent mailing address to which the reimbursement check should be mailed in the event an award is made.
Academic and Financial Guidelines:
- Students must be full-time rising juniors or seniors in A&S during the award period to be eligible.
- Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Students must have filed FAFSA for the current academic year.
Requirements upon Return:
- Students must produce a handwritten letter which they will mail to the donor(s) who provided the funding for this program. This letter should highlight the student’s experience and
express their appreciation. Recipients will be contacted with further information after they receive their notice of award.
- All receipts for charges incurred during the experience (e.g., lodging, travel, food, etc.) along with a photo or scanned copy of the handwritten letter must be emailed to
Lakesha Knox (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy Nikki Robinson (email@example.com).
- Reimbursement checks may take several weeks to be processed and will be delivered by postal mail.
Final decisions will be made by the College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s Office. Funding decisions will be made within two weeks after the deadline. Students and their faculty advisor/mentor will receive an email of award notification.
Questions should be sent to Dr. Giselle Thibaudeau (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copied to Lakeisha Knox (email@example.com).